Thursday, September 16, 2010

Parking. Scratch that.

I get to school every day for a 9:30 class, so parking is not an issue for me.

However, if I ever want to leave school during the day to get something to eat since I have long breaks occasionally, it doesn’t even seem plausible because of the horrendous amount of people parking and no spots being available.

The other day I came back to campus a little more than a half hour early to park and get to my class on time and relax. That didn’t happen quite as I had planned.
First starting with the parking structure, I went around and around, going through all levels, but at a slow pace. Not only are there not enough open parking spots, but people also hold up the line by minutes because they wait for someone walking to their car or for someone to take their time pulling out to get their spot.
Next, I moved to the side parking lot behind the Rec Center. Every spot taken too! I drive through each lane multiple times just hoping to see the red taillights flash on. Unfortunately, I do not live in a fairy tale, so this naturally didn’t happen.

So I go back to the parking structure. Hmm, maybe I’ll just get lucky. By the way, I’ve already been searching for a spot for approximately 15 minutes. I’m a little stressed at this point because I would have liked to already been walking in the school, but instead I’m scrambling to find emptiness between those solid yellow lines.
No surprise, I cannot find a spot again, working my way up to the top and back to the bottom once more. Really? This is obnoxious.
I finally found a spot in the side parking lot, since I decided to try there again. By the time I took the keys out of my ignition there were 3 minutes left before class started.
I understand that it is difficult to find parking, but to the point of driving around for half an hour to find it and being late to class is almost not worth even going. The only thing I look forward to is the drop outs that start out by coming to class in the fall and trying to work hard, but end up slacking, dropping classes, and leaving parking spots open for me and my fellow classmates. Right now it looks like I’ll just have to wait it out and never leave campus because there are bars on my car to ensure that I always have a parking spot. Good times U of M-Flint.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean when it comes to parking. I have early classes, too, so I don't usually have too much trouble. When I did leave campus, though, I found it very difficult to find a parking spot again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parking is bad enough, but do people have to drive as poorly as they do? It can a circus in those lots.

    ReplyDelete