Thursday, September 16, 2010

Books Galore!

On walking into class this morning I was asked what book I was reading. (Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks, if it matters. And yes, I am an avid reader of Nicholas Sparks; there is always a good story-line and I know I'm going to cry during it, but it has become a routine).

Then someone asked how I had any time to read a regular novel, for FUN. I know it is a difficult thing to do, since we are bogged down with a plethora of readings from stuffy college textbooks that cost a fortune. Why would I even try taking the time out of my schedule to read another book? Well, first, I love to read. Second, I always get to class early because I'm paranoid about being late, so I take the 15-20 extra minutes I have to read a book that I want to read. Third, this makes me happy and gives me a little bit of joy in the midst of stressful days with loads of work and other reading.

Somehow, this makes me make sure I finish the reading for the class or other homework before I get to class because I want to guarantee that I can have my few minutes of pleasurable reading. Right now I'm realizing that it's the little things that you have to embrace to make you happy, because sometimes we go through rough patches and extremely busy days, so I need a little enjoyment. It's not like I go out of my way and take time from studying to read on my own, so that's nice. I would generally just be sitting outside of the classroom twiddling my thumbs and that does me no good at all, so why not read a few pages to keep myself preoccupied and happy.

With all of the worrying I'm doing right now, sometimes I need to take a few minutes for myself and stop worrying. I can put my mind into another world and almost disappear for a while. Sometimes we need a distraction from the everyday monotony that forces our brain to go a million miles a minute. This is my way of giving my brain a little rest and rewarding it for all of the hard work it does.

7 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Nicholas Sparks had a new book out. I have read almost all of his books for a while now. I kind of didn't like "The Last Song" as much as some of his other stories, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read any Nicholas Sparks books. I'm the same way when it comes to being paranoid about being late to class. I love to read too, but I do agree that it's hard to fit in time to read for pleasure, and sometimes for me it's hard to want to in between the reading I'm doing for my other classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I always find certain books can take a lot of the stress and worry out of a day, if only for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. Whatever works to lessen the stress. I like to get to class early, too. Better to be early than late.

    Nick Kenney

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you have spare time to read. I might have to go pick that book up because from what you had told me earlier on Thursday, it sounded like it was going to be a great book. I admire the fact that even on the busiest days, you still make sure to make time for yourself and have a few minutes to read something you want, instead of just required reading. I agree with you completely, whatever reduces the stress, do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your blog post Labyrid7, as I too am a fan of reading and all of its glory. I can't wait to see what future posts you have for us, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always have a book with me and it is good to see that some people are too.

    ReplyDelete