Friday, March 25, 2011

Dance


Every time I go to Archies in Davison I drive past my old dance studio. I think about it each time I'm out there and it makes me want to go back. I used to love to dance. I started dancing at age 4 and stopped after 6th grade. I always juggled soccer and dance, and I started playing on two travel soccer teams which meant giving up dance. I did it because soccer is more important to me, and I don't ever regret my decision, but right now I wish I could go back. I know I could, but honestly since I haven't danced in so long I think I would be behind and not make the group. I know I'd be able to do just fine in tap, since that was my strongest area anyway, but doing turns in ballet and toe would be my weakness, and I would need all skills to be able to do this. Plus the fact that I'm way too busy for hardly anything is also a problem. I know that I won't be going back to dancing, but sometimes I wish I could. I miss the studio and its strange beauty, where the floors have been worn down by many years of hard work from many dancers. I have a lot of memories from dance and I used to be good. I'm definitely glad that I did it so long when I was younger. And I would love to perform on stage again. There is something about the excited nervousness of opening night and making your way on stage, the lights so bright on your face, and the constant repetition of steps going on in your head. I remember before recitals or competitions I would practice my steps while sitting at my desk in class. It was natural for me. I would just go over them so much and it was almost something I couldn't stop. Tonight my desire to dance will have to be met by watching Step Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment