Monday, February 7, 2011

Gary Allan - Watching Airplanes



I would have to say that this is definitely a favorite of mine. While I love the music and listening to it, the lyrics also hit a string with me. There's something poetic about watching airplanes.. waiting and watching helplessly for something that isn't going to come, or at least never knowing which one she will actually be on. I think love does that to people, makes monotonous things not so monotonous.  Nothing matters except the burning passion and despair in the soul.

Also, watching airplanes makes me think of something a little kid would do. I think another thing love makes us do is act childish, and not necessarily in a bad way, but we get all giddy over things and we take enjoyment out of small things again, we find beauty in the things that we wouldn't normally see. But the helplessness I feel in this song, it's sad, but beautiful at the same time. I don't know, there's just something about this song that I will always love.

I love the line, "I wonder what you'd do if you looked out your window, and saw me running down the runway, just like I was crazy." Like really, I wonder what that person would do if they saw that person running crazily after them. There's something amazing about that. Love makes people do some crazy things when they don't want to lose someone. This makes things romantic and have such value. Things matter when you have someone to care about.

Sitting outside and watching plane after plane, ones taking off and some coming in, it is repetitive and stable. When something bad happens and you can't figure out why, something you can count on helps. You know that a plane will come in and one will go out. It's something stable to ease the mind. Maybe someday I'll sit outside and watch the airplanes.. in the summer of course, but I feel like it could potentially be a fun time. Just a place to relax and watch something you've never watched before. It could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment