Saturday, January 22, 2011

Wednesday nights

I just started working with my dad and sister again with a basketball program for autistic children. I had initially started this program with my dad, only it was soccer and not basketball, back when I was in the 8th grade. I was very involved in the program and I love working with the kids, they teach me so much and I can help them as well. I continued with the program through high school when I didn't have to work at my other job, and some of the kids I've gotten to know for a while now. It is such rewarding experience and I consider myself lucky that I've been a part of it for so long.


On the topic of autism though, I worry about the world in which we live in because most people with a disability always face hardship from others because they're different. It makes me so sad to see when kids have a difficult time growing up because they might not get the same experience that someone  else would have. They are made fun of brought down, not able to feel comfortable in their environment, which they should feel comfortable in and be able to prosper there. And not saying this is only a problem with those with disabilities, but also with regular children. But I'd have to say one thing, I have found so many kids that have so much to bring to this world that they don't get the chance to express to other people. The kids I have met and worked with have made my life more enjoyable and meaningful because it exposes me to a side that I don't see all the time and it makes me appreciate things more. They can still see light in the world even if they have a deficiency that makes it more difficult for them to achieve. That makes me see light in the situations that we often feel as if we will just fail at. Have spirit, have belief in yourself, and a lot of the kids I know do. And if they don't, I try to help them see that they do have the ability to accomplish these things, it might just take more work to get there.

I just wish sometimes that people could stop making fun of others because they might be different from ourselves. Once you step outside of your box and experience something new, it is usually better than when we stay in our secluded bubbles. Different doesn't mean it's bad, it just means unknown, and people are generally afraid of the unknown. Conquer the unknown, it'll widen your horizons and let you see a new perspective on life. Life will mean more to you then.

1 comment:

  1. It's very cool that you wrote this. My 13 year old brother actually has Asperger's, an Autism Spectrum Disorder. He gets teased at school sometimes. It's hard to see kids, his teachers, and sometimes his extended family, struggle to understand and accept him. He's a super cool kid. That's why what you've written is pretty cool. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete